About The Project
The Westmoreland Heritage Trail has been a catalyst for transforming places all along its corridor throughout central Westmoreland, from Trafford, to Murrysville, to Export, and on to Slickville, Salem Township, Loyalhanna Township and finally Saltsburg. As part of a vision for an even larger regional and statewide trail network, the opportunities are immense for all communities along this new trail and greenway.
Leaders in Delmont approached the Smart Growth Partnership and Penn State Extension to help them become one of the prominent communities making the most of this new asset. Through a Jack Robertshaw Fellowship and guidance by Smart Growth Partners’ expertise and collaboration, a Delmont Visionary Committee has formed among the local citizens, and recognition of the community’s historic district assets and trail town possibilities have moved forward.
Active Transportation Plan
Throughout 2023, Smart Growth partners and Penn State Extension created an Active Transportation Plan as part of a consultant team formed with funding from the Pennsylvania Department of Health and a program called PA Walkworks. The Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) and the Delmont municipality provided additional funding for the final creation of the plan.
Delmont Active Transportation Plan In The News
- November 15, 2023 Delmont Council proposes 2-mill tax hike, pursues $1M road work grant
- October 23, 2023 – Delmont council approves transportation plan aimed at improving pedestrian, bike infrastructure
- June 24, 2023 – A Walking Tour of Historic Delmont — through the “Active Transportation” planners’ lens
- June 15, 2023 – Delmont awards paving contract for work on Suncrest Drive
- October 13, 2022 – Delmont will use $20,000 grant to develop borough-wide transportation plan
- April 14, 2021 – Delmont will seek grant to develop ‘active transportation plan’ for borough
A Delmont Council resolution officially adopted the plan on September 12, 2023.
Here is the plan:
Community Connectivity at the Crossroads: The Delmont Borough Active Transportation Plan